Church of Saints Vittore e Corona

Address: Piazza Mazzini, 14045 Incisa Scapaccino AT, Italia

Church built between 1716 and 1735.

It acquired the title of parish church in 1750.


The church of saints Vittore e Corona, begun in 1716 and completed in 1735, was erected as a parish church by Monsignor Ignazio Marucchi, bishop of Acqui, with a decree of 7 September of the Jubilee year 1750: therefore 253 years are fulfilled its foundation and 251 since when, on the occasion of Easter of 1752, the archpriest Carlo Raposio took possession of it.

Despite the fact that the mentioned birth year belongs to the modern age, however, the history of the new ecclesiastical circumscription is linked to that of the ancient parish church. Giuseppe Forchielli, discussing the topic in general, asserts that "the Pieve is the church of the early Middle Ages and is the baptismal church of all the other minor churches in the district ...”.

The gradual process of disintegration of the pieve resulted in the division of the territory into two circumscriptions, whose parish priests and arch priest operate autonomously.

The building of the church was in a state of serious precariousness, however, the arch priest continued to exercise the ministry residing however in the castle until, in 1576 the arch priest Alexander of the Marquis of Ceva moved permanently into the San Giovanni prevostura.

This year passed to the history of the Church of Incisa as the date of the merger of the two parishes. In memory of the event, a large fresco was painted with the effigies of the patron saints of both the parishes of San Giovanni Battista, S. Vittore and S. Corona.

The ecclesiastical building of the parish, however, had not been forgotten even though its conditions were very precarious. Only in 1706, on the initiative of the arch priest Gerolamo Veggi, was built a construction, less extensive than the previous one, equipped with furnishings, vestments and furnishings. On the sides of the altar were statues of Saints Victor and Crown, in a wooden tabernacle was kept the relic of the true cross.

In 1716, however, the foundations of the new church that was supposed to have stood at the church of the Blessed Virgin of Grace had been laid.

The inhabitants of the village Ghiare rose up, hoping that the church of Sant'Antonio Abate would be erected in the parish. The bishop authorized the parish priests to make you reside a religious with the right to administer the sacraments except that of baptism, to officiate, in bad weather, the funeral rites, to celebrate marriages by recording, but all the acts in a single parish book.

Construction of the new church went on and was completed in 1735, Monsignor Marucchi, the new bishop, was convinced that the new building was ideal for a new parish center, but not to exacerbate the minds of the incisians he used a lot of caution. The inhabited area had undergone considerable transformations in recent years, and that ecclesiastical building, moreover, stood far from the Belbo torrent and at a point where the roads flowed from every direction.

On 7 September 1750, during an official apostolic visit, the Bishop Monsignor Marucchi promulgated the decree establishing the parish of Saints Victor and Crown “in the church of the B.V. delle Grazie located beyond the Belbo in a safe place from any flooding so that there was a church on either side of the Belbo” and thus ensured spiritual assistance to the faithful, even in times of flooding the torrent.

On 10 September, the bishop, greeted by the sound of the bells and accompanied by the notables of the city, returned to Acqui.

At the beginning of 1752, however, the discords had not yet subsided and the bishop exhorted the parish priests to continue to officiate in St. John and to live “of good agreement and holy harmony for the spiritual advantage of the souls that will remain unified by their union”.

A measure by the Real Senate of Turin put an end to the controversy and called for “having to undoubtedly exaggerate the decree of HE Rev. Monsignor Marucchi concerning the separation of the two Curies in the manner prescribed by the decree under the penalty of the indignation of S Sacred Real Majesty “and ordered that” this should happen within the upcoming Easter celebrations”.

The council convened on March 31st declared that it was submitting to the notice of the Real Senate of Turin, thus putting an end to the age-old controversy. On the occasion of Easter of 1752 the archpriest Carlo Antonio Raposio took possession of the parish.

The earthquake of 1886 neither deeply damaged the structures and, left in complete abandonment, collapsed in a winter night of 1918.


For more information: https://www.beweb.chiesacattolica.it/




See also...


• Events in Incisa Scapaccino


• Incisa Scapaccino tourist guide


• Municipium, the App of your Municipality